I’m dreading writing this post. But, it has a happy ending so hang on!
Here goes. December got away from us. Far away. Between, Christmas, a bachlorette party in New Orleans…
|Rick has a store in NOLA!
…and a bachelor party for Mr. We’ve Had Them Since They Were Tiny in Vegas. (I don’t have any pictures. We may not want to see them anyway!)
So, we didn’t pay down our mortgage at all. Nada. Nothing. Not a cent. And, we stopped our momentum. This is the worst, because keeping momentum is critical to succeeding at goals.
However, I’m not going to sulk, because equally important to momentum, is being able to restart your goal. I learned this last week from Michael Hyatt’s Podcast. He says the most important part of being successful at a goal… is being able to restart when you fail. It’s normal to fall down. You should expect it. The important part, is getting back up.
We are restarting our goal. And, I’ve got a plan to get momentum. Here it is:
We’re going to put $50 from each of our paychecks in a savings account. The savings account is called our TIGGS account. This account will be used to pay for five things:
1. Trips: Clearly, we need a fund for this.
2. Insurance: Ugh, I hate this one! It always comes around and punches you in the bank account when you’re ready to do something fun.
3. Gifts: Holidays, birthdays, anniversaries.
4. Grooming: Hair cuts, highlights, nails (I haven’t gotten my nails done in FOREVER. Maybe that could change with this account?).
5. Small Surprises: We have an emergency fund for big expences, but we can use this account for small stuff: a.k.a. when we’re about to overdraft our checking account.
Simple, right? I can’t believe I didn’t think of it earlier.
Basically, it’s just a lazy way of budgeting. We don’t budget. Because we’re lazy. We just live off Mr. We’ve Had Them Since They Were Tiny’s paycheck and invest/save my paycheck. The checks go into different accounts so we never see mine.
Yeah, it’s lazy, but it works for us. Except, when we needed some TIGGS money. So hopefully, that will be solved now.
Do you have a special account like our new TIGGS account?
If you want to read more on our goal to pay off our mortgage click here. Also, please follow pinkandrick if you have time. Just click on the join this site button on the left. Thanks!